The Director of Construction oversees the administration and operations of the Construction Department, providing expertise and support to the project managers, senior superintendent, and leasing department on a number of project. This position participates in key decisions pertaining to strategic initiatives, operating model and operation execution. The Director is primarily responsible for the daily management, supervision, coordination and successful completion of all construction projects to ensure that all timelines are met and cost objectives with respect to contracting, estimating, bidding and contract administration are in alignment. This position ensures all work is performed within budget and attains or exceeds project profit goals, while promoting and enhancing internal and external client relationships.
Reports to and works under the general direction of the Chief Financial Officer. This position assumes supervisory responsibilities for the entire Construction Department.
The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as an illustration of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
1) Establishes and maintains a professional working relationship with the owner(s), leasing, various clients, architects, engineers, subcontractors, and suppliers.
2) Ensures the detailed and appropriate establishment of a sound project implementation methodology that is scalable, repeatable, consistent and proven to deliver the intended results with project management best practices and detailed documentation.
3) Leads a team that collaborates with and consults client project executives from start to finish, facilitating design & build process, reviewing scope of work, and means & methods to reduce costs; guides the client and construction department team through the design implementation process, including conceptual, schematic, design development and construction documentation and signoff.
4) Oversees all managerial and administrative aspects of department projects including estimating, scheduling, quality control, daily progress reports, progress billing, design review and coordination, cost reporting, safety, and proposal preparation
5) Develops project specific goals, adheres to all CPM schedules, budgets and detailed assumptions; develops and defines project schedule to meet contractual obligations and to match team size and skill; establishes and maintains project goals and success criteria that meets the client’s needs.
6) Provides technical and administrative supervision of the multi-disciplinary project staff assuring the technical, administrative and schedule targets are met within the framework of company policy and in accordance with applicable professional and company standards.
7) Establishes and enforces project procurement strategy, including reviewing budgets, estimates, executing contracts and strategic purchases; ensures that procurement of materials, supplies, and equipment meets the project needs and are supported by appropriate documentation, financial controls and due diligence through systems, tools and processes;
8) Develops detailed project budgets based on historical and market data and clearly defined sets of budget assumptions; maintains and optimizes financial success of project through consistent review of financial status, budgets and cost reports
9) Directs, measures, and reports progress toward project goals using a standard set of project metrics and reporting standards; actively tracks each aspect of project performance against schedules and critical paths; ensures the project plan, scope, work structure, schedule, and budget are maintained by all involved parties.
10) Builds rapport with client representatives to ensure scope of project and outside business forces affecting the project is fully understood and that specific deliverables are fully understood with performance standards and other relevant criteria; oversee vendor and project team members work to ensure compliance with contract and client expectations.
11) Coaches, mentors, leads and develops a direct team, managing work allocation, training, employee relations, performance evaluation, and the building of an effective team; plans, staffs, and supervises all assigned work activities through subordinate project managers to ensure a cohesive operational unit; evaluates construction progress and team performance to ensure that projects are safely built on schedule and within budget, and that quality standards are being met.
12) Drive all meetings, directives, action items, and course corrections with highest sense of urgency to ensure timelines are kept, deadlines are met, and commitments are honored.
13) Ensures internal staff are communicating to customers frequently and honestly, such as project managers are reporting status and issues to leasing, customers, and superintendents. Ensuring superintendents are communicating with project managers.
14) Assist in all aspects of project planning and estimate reviews, as required.
15) Partner with local jurisdictions to obtain permits, entitlements and/or other conditions of development approval.
16) Develops and maintains the Master Project Schedule.
17) Ensures optimum utilization of labor, material, and other resources across all projects
18) Prepares various RFP’s needed for vendor and contractor services for the complete project.
19) Observes all safety rules and regulations when performing assigned duties.
20) Performs all other related duties as assigned.
RECOMMENDED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience
A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in construction science, construction management, engineering, architecture or related field is required. The position requires a minimum five (5) years executive level construction management or ten (10) years progressively responsible project management experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above. Experience leading and running numerous facets of a large project simultaneously or multiple smaller projects simultaneously is highly desirable.
A thorough background investigation, including personal and professional references and criminal background will be conducted prior to offer of employment. Must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment drug/alcohol screen following a conditional offer of employment. A valid state motor vehicle operator’s license with a clean driving record is required.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Professional Engineer licensed in the state of Illinois (preferred, but not required).
Certified Project Management Professional (preferred, but not required).
OSHA 10-Hour Certification.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
A candidate for this position should have thorough knowledge of the following:
Ø Strong working knowledge of architectural drawings and space planning concepts.
Ø Advanced knowledge of construction management processes, means and methods.
Ø Solid understanding of the construction industry, terminology, codes, documentation, and design disciplines.
Ø Knowledge of commercial design and construction, and experience working on large scale projects
Ø Expert knowledge of building products, construction details and relevant rules, regulations and quality standards.
Ø A strong working knowledge of accounting and financial reporting, budgeting, scheduling and construction processes.
Ø Strong knowledge of building codes and laws related to retail/commercial development and tenant buildouts.
Ø Proficient in project development, from site selection to real estate negotiations to building schematic design through construction documents, bidding and construction administration.
Ø Strong negotiation and interpersonal skills with an ability to interact with executive level external and internal clients.
Ø Demonstrated supervisory, management and leadership skills, influencing both direct and indirect reports from a distance.
Ø Leadership experience with both internal team members as well as subcontractors, vendors, & other external partners.
Ø Have exceptional teamwork and customer service skills.
Ø Have strong written and oral communications skills and exhibits a strong executive presence.
Ø Proficient in Microsoft Office products, including Word, Excel, and Access.
And ability to:
Ø Develop and cultivate business relationships with existing and prospective clients.
Ø Regularly communicate analyzed data to client and team to achieve project goals.
Ø Lead individuals to deliver superior results in client service.
Ø Delegate and supervise the work of others.
Ø Work independently, exercise good judgment, and be resourceful.
Ø Adapt to fast-paced environments where multi-tasking and attention to detail are crucial.
Ø Successfully communicate with architects, contractors, client’s representatives, and team members.
Ø Comply with internal controls, policies and procedures as they pertain to this position.
Ø Maintain organization, meet deadlines, possesses integrity, confidentiality, and discretion in handling confidential information.
Ø Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
Ø Maintain a positive attitude, professional appearance and demeanor at all times.
We are an an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, we will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities